|Posted on November 13, 2016 at 10:30 AM|
Today’s Book: Search Inside Yourself: The Unexpected Path to Achieving Success, Happiness (and World Peace) By Chade-Meng Tan, Daniel Goleman, Jon Kabat-Zinn
One thing I know a lot about is change. Just as the seasons change, life is full of never ending changes. Some of the best changes in life are those that you make on your own accord. Changes that we make of our own accord can include marriage, children, divorce, weight loss, new job, or a new relationship. The decision to make a change, can sometimes be stressful. However, these changes can help you get over some hurdles or make a positive impact on your life. Yet, instituting change can be quite challenging. How can you go about bringing a much-desired change to your life?
Try these strategies when you wish to alter your current state:
1. Ensure you have a clear understanding of what you’d like to change about your life. Is it your job? Initiating or ending a relationship? Moving to a place that fits you better? Write down in a sentence or two regarding the changes you seek. Be as specific as possible, include all the details.
2. Know why you want the change. Being cognizant of your reasons for change will deepen your understanding of yourself and what you wish for your future. It can also help you to tweak what it is you truly wish to accomplish. Having clarity now pays off later.
3. Explore realistic options for how to bring on the change. What do you need to do to make it happen?
- Making a desired change often involves a step-by-step process rather than one big “jump.”
- Write out your plan of action.
4. Focus on making one change at a time. Concentrate your energies on one goal, only one change you wish to make. Your chances of being successful will increase with this approach. When you see that you can achieve one change, you’ll gain confidence when making other changes.
5. Find your confidence. When was the last time you did something you were really proud of? Gather your self-assurance and ignite your efforts to begin making changes.
6. Use positive self-talk. Tell yourself that you know you can create the life you want - one step at a time.
- Use affirmations such as “I deserve this better life”, “I am the creator of my life”, “I am successful”.
7. Discuss your wishes with your significant other. It’s important that you discuss your desired changes with your partner and that both of you devise an agreeable plan to move forward together.
8. Refuse to let anyone or anything stop you. When it comes to making an important life change, those around you might disagree with your decision to alter your life. Many may reflect their fears on you. Be fearless!
- Listen carefully to the opinions of your loved ones. Then, proceed ahead on your well-planned course, taking their ideas into consideration if you found them useful.
- Remember opinions are just that. However, accepting advise from those who have already made a successful change such as yours may be more valuable.
9. Garner support. Surround yourself with supportive people who will provide encouragement to you in your quest for change. Join a support group or club with members who are interested in the change you’re working on. Group support can be incredibly powerful.
- A life coach can also be a great support person, guiding you through your decision-making process every step of the way.
10. Find a great mentor. When you consult with others who have already achieved what you’re hoping to accomplish, it will galvanize you in your efforts to change. It’s wonderful to have direct contact with someone who’s done what you’re striving to do.
- For the fastest results, communicate with your mentor by e-mail or telephone on a regular basis.
Making changes in life can be onerous, yet very rewarding. When you discover that you can create the life you deserve by making some adjustments here and there, you can move closer toward your goals in life with greater passion and confidence.
Let's do this together!
Peace, Happiness and Light to you!
Your Life Coach